TED’s introductory summary to our next consideration says it best: “An orchestra conductor faces the ultimate leadership challenge: creating perfect harmony without saying a word. In this charming talk, Itay Talgam demonstrates the unique styles of six great 20th-century conductors, illustrating crucial lessons for all leaders.”
Key points for developing harmony in your business and family include:
1. Be willing to spread happiness. And show it on your face!
2. Realize that joy comes from enabling others to develop their story within your context
3. Be audacious by opening space for others to put in another layer of interpretation
4. Be sure to assert your authority as required. When it’s needed, authority is there.
5. Take the time to enjoy the soloists performing their solos in your world
6. Allow the story-teller to have space to tell his or her story to the community
7. Relax in your authority and reveal “doing without doing”
Did you enjoy this presentation as much as I did? We’ll see how it affects the orchestra under my care in the days to come. I trust that you will do the same, my friends.